In 1922, 34 of the 40 acres were sold to McGuire and Orr for development. In the early 1930's, the Club became interested in the Mahoey Park Project for the remaining 6 acres. In 1931 the property was willed to the village for a park by Miss Mary Mahoney with the stipulation that unless certain improvements were made within a stated period, the property would revert to the Catholic Church to use as they saw fit.The village finances had been nicked by the depression and the village fathers were a little slow in getting started. The final day was fast approaching.
The Club became involved when Mrs. Hodge, the current club president, met with a committee consisting of the Village Board, Kenilworth Neighbors, Historical Society, Kenilworth Garden Club and the Superintendent of the Joseph Sears school. Mrs Hodge recommended that the land be developed as a wild flower preserve and bird sanctuary.
Kenilworth Home and Garden Club secured the services of a local Wilmette resident, a noted naturalist and landscape architect, Jens Jensen. A beautiful plan was developed and during the process, the opportunity to obtain free labor through the Works Commission made it possible to clear and drain the land in 1932.
The cost to develop the park was to be $9,150 of which $6,700 was labor done by unemployed Kenilworth men, and $2,450 was for material and equipment. The U.S. government offered to pay for the labor and one half of the costs of the materials to complete the project. This was a wonderful opportunity and the members of the committee quickly raised the extra money needed.
Kenilworth Home and Garden Club donated $450.00 and other organizations donated $400, a sum adequate to install a water system, enclose the entire place with a strong fence, and build three stone benches, a beautiful stone fireplace and tan bark paths.
By 1934 the planting of the tress and shrubs was completed, as well as trimming and conditioning of many of the original century old trees. Mrs. Lindsley presented a beautiful pool and Mrs. Nason a large Martin house, and Mr & Mrs. Marx a bronze marker giving a brief history of the property.
Club members donated and planted wildflowers.